Do you work with dangerous chemicals? Do you handle toxic substances? Even if the answer is no, it may not matter. Often, employees are unknowingly exposed to such hazardous substances at their place of work. Working in an unclean environment can be hazardous to your health, especially considering the amount of time you spend at your workplace. Unfortunately, many workers fail to recognize these hazards until they suffer from health problems.
Mold is a type of fungus that can grow on any organic surface where there is moisture, and oxygen. For example, mold can grow on the wood framing of a building, the carpet of flooring, the drywall in an office, and even on the dust and dirt behind cabinets. Even though there are over 1,000 types of indoor molds, the build-up of high accumulation of any of these varieties can lead to serious health concerns.
Exposure to mold can affect some individuals more than others. Those who suffer from asthma, allergies, or illnesses resulting in compromised immune systems are more susceptible to experience severe symptoms ranging from the more common respiratory and breathing problems all the way to dangerous neurological dysfunction. Workers can also develop allergies from the mold spores as well. These individuals will often experience symptoms, including nasal stuffiness, coughing, wheezing, irritated eyes, and/or skin irritation. Furthermore, individuals that have a more severe reaction to the mold spores can experience flu-like symptoms and shortness of breath.
Exposure to dangerous chemicals can occur at many job sites. Despite the majority of toxic fumes cases occurring in factories, office workers can suffer from chemical exposure as well, including inhalation of cleaning chemicals, certain types of paint, and hazardous air pollutants from improper ventilation.
There are many toxic chemicals found in the work place: asbestos, pesticides, lead benzene, cadmium, mercury, beryllium, paint, silica, solvents, and acids. You can become extremely sick if any of these chemicals are inhaled, digested, or even make contact with your skin. If your job requires handling these toxicities, makes sure you wear protective gear, such as googles, gloves, full body suit, and helmet. It is the duty of your employer to make sure that you have protective gear in the work environment that is capable of protecting your entire body from the chemicals.
If you are experiencing or have previously suffered from any burns, rashes, throat or lung injuries, or nerve and neurological injuries you may have been exposed to toxic chemicals at the workplace. Not only should you seek medical attention immediately, but you should contact us today in order to receive compensation for any medical expenses you may have to pay.
Regardless of any employer negligence, if you become ill as a result of exposure to mold or any hazardous fume in the workplace, you may be entitled to receive comprehensive workers’ compensation benefits. Insurers and employers may try to deny any connection between the exposure and your resulting illness, but here at the Office of Sadow & Gorowitz we want to fight for your rights and provide you with the necessary financial compensation that you deserve.